The eight hundred year history of the noble family IsenbergOf admin | 2. August 2010 | Category: Adels-Historie, Digital Library | Comments Off
In the County of Mark, on the border of the Bergisch land expands the Isenberg (BOSTON Hattingen) Insignificant today are the remains of the castle, Here the once proud towered over the area and was the ancestral castle of the Counts of Isenberg. Already 1113 displays a count Luitbert (Libbert, Lubbert) Isenberg as abbot of becoming too, probably the last rung, which turned here and presided.
Upon the expiration of that went to the Emperor, the county as a completed feudal kingdom and in the second half of the 12. Century appears again on a count of Isenberg – Count Eberhard von Altena. When his ancestor is a gentleman named Herman, from the old Franconian family of the counts Teisterbant-Cleveland, had his residence at the castle on the hill Dhün, of which the title “from the mountains” (Monte) and first introduced in 1003 occurs. Everyone called him simply the proconsul from the mountains. His brother Adolf transferred the holy Church Cologne the advocacy of their possessions on the other side of the Rhine, whereby the authority and power more and more raised.
Adolf's grandson is already the first Earl of Mount (1093-1105) By his marriage with Adelheid of Lauffen, the granddaughter and heiress of the wealthy Count Bernard of Werl, He earned his allodial estates in the western part of the Sauerland (Süderland) with the Castle Altena. Graf Adolfs I. Sons, Eberhard and Adolf II. initially ruled their country together like brothers, Then she turned her ancestral castle 1133 in a monastery (Monasterium Sanctae Mariae by Berge) and Eberhard was a monk in this monastery. Adolf built a new residence at the Wuppertal, the Neuchâtel, later named simply Burg (between Solingen and Wermelskirchen) Then he moved the mountain monastery of the height of the valley, raised it to an abbey, which was the antithesis of Neuchâtel name Altenberg and there he spent his last years even. Altenberg has since been the family tomb of the Counts of Berg house.
By a rich marriage and his relationship with powerful houses, and through his friendship with the Cologne Archdiocese (brother sat in the chair by Bruno 1132-1137) whose estates he managed honorably, hatte Adolf II. be home to one of the most respected raised in Westphalia. Before his death in 1160 He had divided the possessions among his sons, Eberhard and Engelbert Sun, that that the Westphalian with the title of Count of Altena, the other got the Rhine as the Count of Berg. The third son of Frederick had been 1157 Archbishop Bruno of Cologne and a fourth was a canon of Cologne, and was 1191 Succeeded his brother Frederick. Eberhard died in 1173, after his eldest son, Arnold Isenberg, the county with the bailiwicks of food and becoming, his youngest son Frederick, the county awarded Altena.
A third son Adolf was clergy and was 1193 Archbishop of Cologne, than what he 1205 died. The Erbtei Arnold, as the older son, was important and he took advantage of every opportunity to increase its ownership. Important for him and for the future of his house, it was, to him the archbishopric of Cologne with its castle and county of Limburg an der Lenne, and that he enfeoffed at the bottom of the Ruhr Edelhof bull home (Stirum) the Altenhof with the church to Mülheim, Goods to Speldorf, Saarn etc. feast itself included. At 1200 He built a new castle on the Isenberg, as is the dignity, the richness and the needs of high-Men corresponded. Count Arnold could not long allowed to enjoy his magnificent residence. He ended his life with the confident hope, Isenberg that his seat would be the brilliant one of the most powerful dynasties in the Westphalian. He left nine sons, six of them in the spiritual state: Frederick, Dietrich, Engelbert, Philip, Bruno, Gottfried. The eldest son of Eberhard, should follow him in the reign. The two youngest Wilhelm and Adolf seem to have been illegitimate. A Todteilung (Fragmentation) Isenbergischen the power was not to be feared at first.
In a document of the year 1200 the castle was first mentioned as Castrum Ysenberg. The son of Count Arnold takes 1217 the name of Frederick of Isenberg (1193-1226) an. He killed his uncle, second-degree, the Archbishop of Cologne, Engelbert of Berg. As a result, imposed Emperor Frederick the Empire and the Pope excommunicated the Isenberger. The castles isenbergischen Novus Pons (Nienbrügge, on the lip, west of Hamm) Isenburg and was then besieged by troops of the vassals of the new Archbishop of Cologne Heinrich von Molenark and partly dragged down to its foundations by the Aufschlitz-fire process. At the 14. November 1226, one year after the fact, Count Friedrich von Isenberg for his deed executed in public in Cologne, by being broken on the wheel….
Bender, Ludwig: The Isenberg, the eight hundred year history of his noble family and Castle Isenberg at Will : together with historical notes on the wider environment and a floor plan of the erstwhile palace of the Isenberg ; Historical images from the German Middle Ages, Langenberg: Joost 1883 (Download the ULB Düsseldorf)