Each tradition has been accrediting facts either orally conveyed through narrative or through written record. The oral tradition is the essence of the deed nothing in common;
the written record, however, can either have the character of a simple narration of a fact, and in this case narrative, Chronicle. Also this written testimony is not consistent with the nature of the document.
For the term document in the form and not the content is relevant (then z. B. Ficker) He leads the way to, that also apply to facts of purely historical interest (Circumstances of the consecration, Laying the foundation stone of a monument) Documented, without thinking of a use for legal purposes.
The diplomatics can be described as the doctrine, which the mediation of knowledge of external and internal features of the documents for the purpose of determining value, as written and dressed in appropriate form of evidence on matters of a legal nature, systematically carried out.
From the contents:
1. Documents at all, whose character, Genera, Species, Antiquity, Authenticity, Counterfeits and their causes, Stationery and fonts
2. Teaching certificate from the style and the customs office at the completion of the documents, as: Signatures and monograms, Rekognitionszeichen, Siegel; it is followed by a history of the old Frankish law firm staff and a treatise on the data of the documents and their distinctions.
3. Critique of Papebrochischen (Daniel Papebroch) Rules with a treatise on the “notitiae” and old “Chartularien and Copialbücher“.
4. This section deals with the ancient palaces of the Frankish kings, important for the explanation of the oldest diplomacy.
5. Writing patterns and their explanation with 58 large copper plates.
6. Collection of over 200 Diplomas of the year 471 until the end of 12. Century, as evidence of the established tenets.
The supplement contains individual, some diplomatic, partly historical and chronological supplements.
German and French formally competed in the culture of this science and it was the individual components expand. This created a series of works, which the individual features of the documents the subject of scientific investigation had as “Heineccius 1709” the seal, “Baudis 1737” über monograms, “Baring 1737” about the characters, and works by “Scheuchzer, Rodriguez, Walther” usw.
The “Chronicon “Gottwicense” deserves because of its importance for the German diplomacy particular attention. The copyright holder of this work was the learned abbot of the monastery Göttweig, Gottfried Bessel (1672-1749) Bessel was Rector of the University of Vienna and his research on the teaching certificate taken as a benchmark.
Must not go unmentioned (when it comes to the promotion of the new science) Heumann of the scholar Johann Brunn Teutsch, Professor at Altdorf with his work: “Comments re imperatorum diplomatic action independent of Caroli M Regumat Germanorum. temporibus adornati. Norimbergae 1745″. Heumann was, the extraordinary considering the physical characteristics of the documents and the internal characteristics, particularly the right content turning the necessary consideration and thereby also produce did, that he created a complete list of the documents treated by him princes (with the partition of both genuine and counterfeit)
Frederick Leist: Diplomatics : Catechism of the Diplomatics, Palaografia, Chronology and sphragistics, 2. Edition, Leipzig: Verlagsbuchhandlung J.J. Weber, 1893