On the southern edge of the lower resin, im Tal der Zorge, is beautifully embedded in the landscape of the city Ellrich. The settlement was founded in 876 the first time as “Alarici” mentioned and currently has about 4.000 Population. Since 1869 There is a rail link to Nordhausen and Northeim. Over the centuries, Ellrich was one of several counties and was 1286 City law. In the 14. and 16. Century was the site of a cut point for trading on the resin. Under the rule of the Counts Hohnsteiner the city received 1332 the right of coinage. Until the 17. Century have been here several small coins and coins marked.
As a notable historic buildings are the remains of the wall “Ravensturm” and “Wernaer Tor” (1315) The Romanesque church of Hospital (after 1100) with wall paintings of 1598 and late Gothic altar, the Gothic Church of Our Lady (1300) Church of St. Mary on the women's mountain, already 723 first documented. (lt. ancient writings Ellricher oldest church in the Province of Saxony) and the half-timbered building of the rectory of St. John's Church (1655) to mention.
In 1990 was the expansion of road network, the telephone network and the preservation and restoration of monuments started. Ellrich shows activities, after it had many years as a city on the border of a truncated existence.
In the past two years, the city developed economically strong. This clearly shows the 100 percent occupancy of the new industrial park and the associated creation of approximately. 600 new jobs.
In economic terms, it gets Ellrich in the district of Nordhausen more prestige, because the tourism alone can not live the city Südharz. One of the most important economic sectors, the gypsum industry, and also a dark chapter in history.
The historical origins of Ellrich
The past always relied on the certificate “Codex diplomaticus Fuldensis”, supposedly from the year 874 arise, and the names of the form “Alarici” containing, has subsequently turned out to be a fake. So it is more correct, the oldest record of a settlement “Ellrich” a certificate shall be based, in Ingelheim, the old imperial palace west of Mainz, at the 18. More 876 in the law firm of King Louis the German was issued and sealed the settlement of a dispute between the archbishop of Mainz and the Abbot of Fulda in Thuringia over the decade in favor of the monastery. The endemic case “Alarichi” This means the first written mention of a settlement, their entry into the secured through written tradition history. Also, this document may be found in the Hessian State Archive in Marburg. The name Alarichi, 1229 Elreke, 1256 Elrike is with the Old Saxon word Alira, Elira, “Alder”, and the Middle Low German reke, “Series, Rear fence” declared.
The monastery of Fulda tenth requiring settlement developed south of the mountain woman. St. Mary's church on the mountain woman is probably built into a prehistoric plant and place of worship was. The legend of St. Boniface built after, they would initially have been made of wood, but was still built in the Romanesque period in stone, whereupon after 1300 a rebuilding in the Gothic architectural style joined. Wall remnants and a kind of terrace at the foot of the mountain indicate original fixtures. Also on Castle Hill in the last century was a small ring wall demonstrated, However, by the construction of the inn today is no longer detectable.
In the 10. Century, further south on the Zorge expanding moved to a later tradition Queen Matilda, the wife of Henry I., the local Church St. St. John's established. That the output of the already Liudolfings 9. Henry's father had taken centuries to Duke Otto the southern Harz countryside, with its vast imperial firmly in her hand, is undisputed. Rights of the monastery of Fulda in Ellrich can not recognize more later.
For the further development of the site are the counts of Klettenberg important. These are 1187 First mentioned in the sources. Your County (the county, after lat.comes = Count) arose at the instigation of Emperor Frederick I. Barbarossa. Konrad von Ballhausen by the emperor for his services rendered primarily as Podesta of Ferrara – invested with the county Klettenberg. Of the neighboring counts of honing stone as a foreign- and considered intruders and fights, lost comites de Clettenberg coincided with the demise of their castle Hohenstaufen Klettenberg 1253 to the counts of honing stone.
In the county affiliation Ellrichs to Velcro Berger has a certificate from the 25. More 1229 down: Albert, Count of Klettenberg, gives to his church “in Elreke” four and a half hoofs of his lands “oppidum in our Elreke”. If the expression “villa” needed for a settlement purely rural character, so designated, the term “oppidum” during this time, although not yet walled, but with earthworks, Flechtzäunen palisades and fortified town of incipient urban type. As ministers, Servants, Burgmannen, which showed the gentry, be in 13. Century in the charters of the monastery Walkenried one Henricus, Rudolfus, Called Theodoric and Sifridus de Elrike. You will probably originally Velcro Berger, then have been in service Honsteiner. Hertwicus and Sifridus de Elrike have been 1242 as citizens of Nordhausen “chives Nordhusenses” mentioned.
The presence of a count of the honing stone 10. June 1230 in “Elrecke”, nor in the present deed “villa” is called, does not yet, that they had replaced the Velcro Berger at this time already. Rather, they were from the monastery Pöhlde together with the counts of Klettenberg, Been Scharzfeld and Lauterberg invited to a conciliation hearing. However, comes from a document dated 27. September 1256 out, that the counts of the new masters were honing stone. They authenticated the first time in relation to its surroundings and Ellrich: Heinrich, Count of honing stone, sold for the monastery Walkenried 150 Mark his fish ponds, “Hymelrich” called (To see the map of Walkenried) in the “villa” Elreke. The term “villa” in several documents pointed to the still predominantly rural character of the place.
In the reign of King Rudolf von Habsburg, the transition of rural settlement is a small town. In a document dated 30. March 1292 (Original in the State Archives of Wolfenbüttel) Dietrich and Henry speak of honing stone of its citizens “cives of Elrich”, and the “civitas Elrich” and already mentioned “Consuls”, Councilors. This document is sealed four times, Count the two seals, the abbot of the city and the Walkenried Ellrich. The latter was now surrounded with strong walls, proved by a deed of the year Walkenrieder 1315.
A dark chapter in the history of the city Ellrich 1627
Ellrich, a small town on the outskirts of the southern Harz, Surrounded by beautiful forests and hills. It was first 874 as a possession of the monastery of Fulda documented. Like almost all places in our home, also suffered from several fires Ellrich, particularly that of 1627. This fire broke out in the turmoil of the Thirty Years' War, While we on Whit Monday, the May 14 1627, in a house near the former and the present Auetor Austraße. You have to start from arson. A huge fireball, which was further supported by the West Wind, spread rapidly. The then provided with wooden shingles covered timber-framed buildings to the flames a highly flammable food. Within a few hours the whole city was in ruins, from a few houses in the street knight Hagen. The St. John's church was destroyed by fire, the two towers and supported by six pillars collapsed ceiling above the nave. The fire disaster that cost many people their lives. (Left image of the local museum)
The magistrate Ellricher book this terrible affliction described as follows:
“Knowing, that by God's doom anno 1627 The Whit Monday this whole little town burned by an applied Ellrich by malicious people and fire the town hall was consumiret with and because of the large 30-year war can not be restored once again, then finally by means of divine grace and Beihülfe front hemer people, Most Serene Prince and Lord of the bizarre, Mr. Rudolphi Augusti Duke of Brunswick and Lüneburg, which 150 Pine logs to spendiret, This hall also annotated 1671 directed Augusto, from year to year according allgemächlich assets of the Council's income and today this button for making of the roof has been placed ausgebauet, which the message was registriret anhero and inserted into this button. Ellrich, the 19. Jan. 1676″
The old weather vane of the Town Hall with the year 1676 is now in the museum Ellricher. Delayed reconstruction of the city, among other things, because there was at that time not a real fire insurance. A further difficulty in the prosperity of the town continued through the resin in the emerging bands of robbers. How slow was the rebuilding of the city, follows from the fact, that after twenty years before again 146 Homes of former 416 Houses were built. For the period that the nickname of the Ellricher, “Bettelfanier”.
(Those: Yearbook of the district of Nordhausen 1997 Editor: District Office Nordhausen)
(Those: Image brochure of the district of Nordhausen 1992, District Office Nordhausen)
Mention should also be some people, receive their souvenirs of the city's residents to be earned Ellrich, because some in the local council, in some churches- and school boards have taken care of for the best of this place.
Count Henry of honing stone-Clettenberg marries the widow in Ellrich Vollrat of the Count of Mansfeld. A tournament organized regularly to this day, however, takes an unfortunate outcome. When Bruno meets Speerebrechen unhappy Querfurt of Count Ernst von Honstein Sun, that it died shortly afterwards.
Heissen debt in Ellrich
1457 Henry ways, 1477 Berndt Gödeling, 1488 Curt of horse mackerel, 1497 Hans Ulrich, 1503 Hans Gassmann, 1504 Dietrich sand
Mayor of the City
1540 Hans Tölke, 1554 Claus Fritsche, 1556 Hans Weiner, 1571 Balzer Schincke, 1577 Andreas Tölke, 1584 John Weissenborn, 1588 Alexander Sieckel, 1610 Cyliax Spangenberg, 1618, 1621 and 1624 Burchard Liesegang +1626 and Hans Liesegang +1662 In the years 1649, 1651, 1653, 1655, 1657, 1659
Rectors of the city school Ellrich
First, Michael Vincent, He died on 12.9.1601, Johann Mylius, born 1533 Gernrode, translated, because he went to school at Ilfeld, the catechism into Greek, for use at the convent school, led by Michael Neander. The first edition of which was soon sold. The second edition of the print shop in Basel Oporinischen was equipped with a preface and additions by Neander. Mylius was in his 24. Appointed as rector of age and was in Ellrich 1557 appointed to Walkenried. He was succeeded by Ernst Mylius, Andreas Plathner, Johann Nicolaus Lampertus, Jacob Lueder from Nordhausen, 1649 William distinction a, Samuel Jäger +10.9.1710 and other.
Scholars from Ellrich
Matthäus Gothus, Greek poet and Johann Heinrich Hofmann * 1628 in Ellrich. He has done great service to the Braunschweig-Lüneburg history through many writings very worthy. He died 1680
Become known at the 11.4.1729 derived from Kehmstedt Gottlieb Christoph Schmaling (His father was the local priest there) There was the Poet, Historian and theologian. As such from him Hohnsteinsche Magazine, Schmaling of the 1788 to 1791 in 34 Consequences as a collection of mixed messages to Hohnstein's history brought out. Schmaling had visited the school in Nordhausen and Ilfeld, studied since 1748 Hall and gave 1750 Benneckenstein Halberstadt and private lessons, was 1755 as a deacon at the St.. St. John's Church is called, was from 1765 Upper and preachers 1768 Inspector at the same time via the Velcro Bergisch district. He died on 30.4.1800
In 1823 Ellrich had 2570 Population, 1860 There were 2872 and in 1935 were 4771 Residents counted.
Gypsum is used as plaster walls for many centuries been. This is demonstrated in Nordhausen, the old city walls, the stones are combined with gypsum. At 1865 the manufacturer began to Euling in Ellrich, exploit the rich cast of camp Ellrich and environment for the production of plaster pieces. His example was imitated, and so the industry has become increasingly important. Around the year 1900 were 10.000 Zentner and sent carloads a'200 400-500 Workers employed in the gypsum factories.
- The Protestant families of the city of Ellrich 1625-1938, Letter A, from August Moltke jr. in Ellrich (unpublished output occurs)
- The list of persons in the Council Ellricher “Red beech” Magistrates 1435-1805 Eduard von de Lorme in Hanover (Copies available)
- The Residents of the city Ellrich In the years 1719
- The Pastor directory in Ellrich (Via the genealogical connections are reported elsewhere)
- Requiring owners lap Ellrichs in 175
- The old Ellrich: History of a city Südharz, Author Peter Kuhlbrodt, Publisher Neukirchner, 2000 ISBN 3929767422, 477 Pages
- Contributions to the History of Ellrich in the journal of the Association for resin History and Archaeology Jg. 24, 1891 of R. War, Legal assessor in Ellrich