Bishop D. Emil Albert KarowBy admin | March 30th, 2010 | Category: Biographies | Comments Off
Emil Albert Karow was 1871 Born in Prenzlau, the son of Johann and Wilhelmine Henriette Karow Trebbin. The Karows from Uckermark were a rural race, that's been resident at Lützlow Prenzlau. One of the newest members of the family moved into the city from operating in Prenzlau 1869 a bakery and restaurant. (Naturalization in the Prenzlau 07.09.1867) This was the father of Emil Karow.
Emil studied in Tübingen, Halle and Berlin, and was on 12. November 1899 ordained. At the 2.10.1900 He married Margaret (Grete) Agathe Martha Liesegang (1872-1943) a daughter of the pastor Liesegang Perleberg and his wife Elisabeth Julie Abbot. From this marriage four daughters and a son. The entire lineage can be tracked in the database.
Data from the time 1921 to 1937
1921: Appointed Member of the Evangelical Supreme Ecclesiastical Council (ETUC) with the title Oberkonsistorialrat
1926: Awarded the honorary Doctor of Theology Faculty of the University of Halle-Wittenberg (Therefore "D" before the name)
1928: Appointment as general superintendent (GS) by the Senate of Berlin church
June: Speaker of the GS of the Evangelical Church of the Prussian Union
28. June: Leave by Reichskommissar hunters after a meeting with all GS. (This session was Karow spokesman GS.
12. July: Appointment of Pfr. Otto Eckert (Zossen) (s.u.) as successor to the grounds of age who retired GS dealer and conferral of the business of the interim commissioner GS Berlin Country.
19. July: Cancellation of leave of GS Karow by EOK: (Protestant Oberkirchenrat)
Quote from the letter to D. Karow: "To achieve that achieved by the resolution of the conflict between church and state pacification expressed, …., is the leave your reverence lifted. ….“
10. August: "Decree" to merge the GSuren Berlin City and Berlin-country.
The diocese is united by GS Berlin City (d.h. D. Karow) managed. This leads the grade of GS Berlin.
Doing so will invalidate the on 12. July contract awarded to Pfr. The. Eckert. (This must also be the official car (Mercedes Benz) an D. Karow return.)
6. September: Church Law on the Establishment of the State of dioceses and episcopal office
(Was on 20. November 1934 of Reich Bishop (RB) The. Muller canceled, with the proviso, that the earlier right again enters into force. (The Confessing Church (B. K.) was opposed to the introduction of the episcopate, because this was not considered Protestant.))
12. September: Displacement of GS Vits (Neumark and Niederlausitz) Dibelius and (Kurmark) into retirement
16. September: EOK on behalf of the D. Karow to undertake the business of the former GSuren Neumark and Niederlausitz (GS Vits) and Kurmark (GS Dibelius). To his (Karows) Support is Pfr. The. Eckert ordered.
12. October: Return of the displaced office crosses into retirement GS Dealer, Vits and Dibelius (by Letter)
01. November: Appointment of D. Karow bishop of Berlin by the Church Senate (due to the "Bishop Act" by 6. September, the only up to 20.11.1934 was in effect.)
22. November: Writing RB Mueller at D. Karow with the appointment
16. March: 1. Meeting of the newly elected provincial council Brandenburg s.u.
(Memorandum by Bishop Dr. Oberheid): "Bishop Karow was faced with the fact, that the provincial council were to express a vote of no confidence against him. To avoid this,, declared himself ready, July, the month 1934 to retire. RB Mueller agreed. Bishop made Karow Communication. "
4. More: 2. Meeting of the Provincial Synod, Line Propst (!) The. Eckert, the sharp attacks against the Pastors (B. K.) directed.
(To show the "spirit" in the provincial council, Here the partial reproduction of a "rally", of the Synod of the protocol "unanimously" adopted was (The press release is missing the word "unanimously".):
"Born from the consciousness of the great responsibility towards the united German people by Hitler the Synod confesses again to some of the Gospel Church of the Living Christ. In gratitude to the Divine Providence, they recognize in the Nazi state, a tool of the Almighty, to guarantee the principle of freedom and order to the world visible nationalist life. The Brandenburg provincial synod, it is all Nazi-minded fellow church members and guilty, to watch over the order in the community and in the church. …“
7. June: RB Mueller confirmed the dislocation D. Karows to retire to 1. August 1934, with thanks and appreciation for the blessed work to date.
20. November: Repeal of the law of 6. September 1933 the introduction of the episcopate.
1936, 29. January: Confirmation of retirement by the Church Committee of the Church of Berlin-Brandenburg
1937, 20. February: Confirmation of retirement by the Church Committee of the Old Prussian Union
1940 Entry into the armed forces in the rank of major
From the memories of Bishop i.R. Emil Karow:
"Fateful was already (after the elections of church 23. July 1933) the influence of the parish priest and later provost Eckert. Equipped with good administrative abilities and good knowledge of the conditions, he lifted up an unbearable Regiment. He was Nazist with a translucent envelope church. That its applications from the beginning had the certainty, assumed to be, strengthened its position very. This was most notable expression, if a renegotiation of pastor, the direction of the Confessing Church later belonged. They were suspected of being enemies of the German Reich and disparaged, and applications for their displacement have been accepted. "
Provincial Synod line:
The bishop, 18 Members, thereof 12 chosen by the previous provincial council, 6 appointed by the Bishop. Half of the members must be amateurs. The election takes place in relation to the due to the elections of 23. July 1933 existing composition of the previous provincial council
(H.-U. Wehler, "German social history", Band 4, Page 801: In the choice of 23. July 1933 the German Christians had won an overwhelming majority in most provinces and in church without exception all ecclesiastical provinces of the Prussian Union (So also in Berlin) taken the lead.)